How I failed making a snow globe.

     This post was going to be a tutorial on making a snow globe but it will have to serve as inspiration. I wanted to make a mermaid style water globe for my mermaid obsession. So I started with some twisted green plastic icicles that I made a while back that didn't turn out very well and resembled kelp rather than icicles. I also had a piece of red veggie netting on hand.

How I failed making a snow globe; what went wrong and what went right. Night Sea 90

     My first mistake was not picking a jar with a watertight lid. This is very important, this stage makes or breaks your plans on having a nice little snow globe to shake around. I even tried to make my own seal first by hot gluing the lid on, failure and a pain to peel off again. My second idea was to hot glue a baggie onto the top to put under the lid, this one I had high hopes for and it did work...until morning when it just peeled off.

How I failed making a snow globe; what went wrong and what went right. Night Sea 90

    If that wasn't enough the type of glitter I picked out was iridescent and so pretty but it turned out to be clearer than expected and when in water it almost disappears except for a few pale purple flakes. It also seems that aside from not putting enough glitter to matter in, the netting I put in loves to trap glitter.

How I failed making a snow globe; what went wrong and what went right. Night Sea 90

    The hot glue I used seems to do okay so far, my one worry is that since it heated up the glass so much from applying it on the inside and having to cool and set it with water just to keep it from taking twenty minutes to stop baking in the little oven I accidentally created, the water might have seeped under the glue and will eventually peel it off.

How I failed making a snow globe; what went wrong and what went right. Night Sea 90

    The one thing I do like about my failure of a snow globe is the way it looks, the kelp and netting looks so pretty so for now I'll just remember not to tip the jar around and leave it on display since the glitter sparkles in the netting.

How I failed making a snow globe; what went wrong and what went right...recycled pop bottle turned into kelp. Night Sea 90
Plastic kelp made from a recycled pop bottle.

Disclaimer; my first attempt at a snow globe has only encouraged me to find new ideas so I'm scouring Pinterest for pins to spark new ideas. Here is my brand new snow globe board. Hopefully I got all the older pins transferred from the other boards and didn't leave any behind. Do you have snow globes?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments

Popular Posts