Marimo Haul!!!

     I DID IT!!! I bought more marimo. I paid for ten, got twelve but I'm not sure whether or not to name the company. I did buy these but I do have a few (picky) complaints that are okay mostly just my preference. there is nothing actually wrong with these marimo.

Marimo Haul!!! Can you believe this isn't enough marimo for me? I love marimo but I think I should try and get my hands on other aquatic plants that don't need much space.
Can you believe this isn't enough marimo for me?
I love marimo but I think I should try and get
my hands on other aquatic plants that don't need much space.

Pros;
1, I got two extra.
2. They are all a nice size, none of them were smaller than expected.
3. They're alive.
4. They arrived fast.
5. No pests when they arrived and nothing has hatched from them since getting them a few weeks ago.

Marimo Haul!!! I was told this marimo looked like an angry bunny... So I added a pair of ears, the face was already there. That is not a mohawk (as commented by someone I showed this to earlier) The other ear to the right in the shadow, just follow the rim of the jar on the right.
I was told this marimo looked like an angry bunny...
So I added a pair of ears, the face was already there.
That is not a mohawk (as commented by someone I showed this to earlier)
The other ear to the right in the shadow, just follow the rim of the jar on the right.

Cons;
1. There are a few dark patches on a few of them that aren't really disappearing (dark spots are common when you ship them due to lack of light or so I've heard but these seem to be more like they had dark spots before shipping) but I can trim that and still have a large marimo left over.

2. Dirty and this is just me being very picky. I know marimo are filters so if you raise them in sand you'll find sand in them but these have a lot of sand and it does not come out after bathing them. When they grow a bit more the sand will be buried but it's really not something I like to see when I stare at my marimo so that's the worst part of it for me.

3. Debris, common when you have them in aquariums where I think these were grown. I pulled out a few dead plant particles and something floated up before I cleaned their jars for the first time but it was nothing to dump it out.

Marimo Haul!!! An example of what sand and grit looks like in marimo fluff. Do you see what looks like paler, brighter specks in the strands?
An example of what sand and grit looks like in marimo fluff.
Do you see what looks like paler, brighter specks in the strands?
That is whatever the marimo sucked in from it's last home, sand, small rocks...unthinkable stuff.
I can deal with a few brown spots, cut those out but this stuff is impossible to remove.
Over time they will be buried in new growth and unseen.
My large marimo from before had some, not nearly this bad
but I never noticed until it split apart that it had sand in it.

Notes;

1. Make sure you have space for all your marimo before you buy them.
2. Finding bits of sand or other small things stuck in your marimo is normal, they are natural filters who draw gunk into them cleaning the water around them.
3. If you use sand, use fun colors so when you find sand in your marimo it'll look fun like confetti or glitter.
4. Never feed your marimo ice cream....just kidding.

Disclaimer; I wish marimo came in bunny shape for real. My angry bunny looks so cute.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments

Popular Posts