Poison Apple DIY

     As a part of my Fairytale project, I've always wanted to try making Snow White's poisoned apple. Everyone probably knows the iconic apple covered in green poison shaped like a skull. I've wanted to make this for a while know, about a year but struggled with how I might make it.

     I'm quite happy with how my poisoned apple turned out. It is actually a simple craft that took me way too long to plan out. Now I will say, the slime did not turn out exactly how I wanted it and that is only because I had to paint it and I wanted the slime to be more of a slightly translucent green, not quite as dark as the paint I had on hand.

My poison apple in front of my Alice in Wonderland Art Tin and my Cinderella Carriage dish/container.

     This project could probably be done with puffy paint, I'm not sure since I don't think I've had puffy paint in maybe ten years. It's been a while but it sounds like an interesting twist or even air clay could work...possibly. Lol, I have ideas but I'd be broke a hundred times over trying to try them all out.

     On to the tutorial, I didn't take very many in progress photos...actually none, sorry. Once I got started I totally forgot but it doesn't really matter because the step you don't get to see is seen easier with the paint on it.

Supplies;
Foam/fake apple; Mine is a foam apple with a hard coating.

Glue gun; with a low temperature setting, it's easier to work with to get the drips and won't melt the apple.

Glue sticks for said glue gun; obviously :)

Acrylic paint; I didn't have the right colors, I used yellows and greens trying to get it to work and mine did come out a bit darker than I was imagining it would end up being.

Elmer's glue; what, why? I used it but this is kind of optional.

Pencil; for drawing the basic outline of the slime. You want it just enough to see but not too strong just in case you don't get the glue to sit perfectly you won't have to go and paint the apple to hide marks.

This apple is fake, looks pretty real to me.
Just a cheap foam apple, I think I found six for three something on Amazon.
I no longer have the link for this though, sorry.

You are going to want to draw in pencil on the apple, it should show up lightly to the design you want. I just searched up Snow White's poison apple on Pinterest for ideas and found a photo from the original cartoon movie (There are probably remakes but I've never seen them)

The plastic wrap is so I could show you the marking example.
I ended up making it a little higher on the apple than shown.
I would not suggest using permanent marker for the guide lines.
The hot glue might not completely cover the markings so it will ruin your poison apple.
Unless you plan on painting the apple too, then you can use whatever you want.

     The step I didn't photograph was layering drips of hot glue. Start at the bottom of the drip and work your way upward. I actually used a lot of glue, several sticks for this project. When I got to the top, I added glue and smeared it everywhere the poison should be. The one warning I have about my technique about using hot glue is that it isn't very smooth but it's poison and if you get a few rougher spots you can try and smooth them out. I'm happy with how my poison apple came out, not the best but then again it is suppose to be poison and when is poison pretty...in cartoons 😵

Look into the face of death...
Or actually eternal cursed slumber until true love wakes you with a kiss...
Lol, you can totally see what I meant by it not being completely smooth.
I like it, at least for a first attempt.
I would love to redo this with some sort of lighter green, transparent material.
Any suggestions on what this could be made out of or how to smooth hot glue down?

     Painting the poison after it's cooled down. I left mine overnight just to make sure that it was thoroughly set up and because I made this really late so leave it for an hour or more in a cool place just so your hard work isn't messed up. I used a regular soft paint brush on this and instead of risking getting paint on the apple, I carefully worked on the edges leaving a bit of unpainted spots but that only worked because I did several layers with a unique idea I had.

     Wanting the paint to be semi-transparent and to have more durability, I mixed Elmer's all purpose glue into the paint to water it down and give it strength. I did not add any water, I haven't tried that yet. Adding layer after layer I went about three or four layers of paint letting it dry well each time. My paints dried darker than I expected even when adding yellow to lighten it. (I have barely any paint and what I do have is the weirdest shades of yellow and green and a bit of red)

     The paint to glue was roughly one part glue, one and a half parts paint...if that makes any sense.

     Optional, sealing it, I didn't, you could use mod-podge (lol I think I used it once when I was little to seal a puzzle together so I'm going off what I've heard other crafters say) but I did add the white glue to the paint to make it a bit more durable.

Disclaimer; Ignore my awkward hand modeling, it's hard being both model and photographer and blogger, editor and don't get me started on all the demands of a model...also what do you think of my little poison apple stamp I put in my photos? It's a little rough and the first time I tried drawing something like that. It is suppose to look edgy but I think the poison is up a little too high or the apple is too long.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments

Popular Posts