Brand-New Marimo

     So I got a new marimo, okay I made one. I'll explain how that works. Marimo is a type of algae that naturally forms into a ball. It's made up of tiny little pieces so when a piece fell off of my marimo I decided to roll it up and create a new marimo. The only problem was getting a container small enough so the marimo didn't vanish (even though it's so small it still vanishes against the seed beads.)

     I had some little necklace bottles laying around from working on some necklaces to sell so I rinsed everything off, put it in the bottle and formed the super tiny marimo which ended up dwarfed by everything I put in with it. In truth I'm happy with this little marimo. There really is nothing better than something free and I got to save a little bit of moss from ending up being washed out when I clean the marimo jars.

My brand-new marimo; how I made myself the cutest, smallest addition to my marimo family. Not sure if this is the world's smallest marimo but it's very small. See that little green dot fuzz in the center of that drawn circle? Yep that's Speck, the newest member of my marimo family. Night Sea 90.
Not sure if this is the world's smallest marimo but it's very small.
See that little green dot fuzz in the center of that drawn circle?
Yep that's Speck, the newest member of my marimo family.
    If you have marimo and you notice they're shedding, don't worry it happens. Just remember, you can roll them into little marimo balls, put them in cute tiny containers and give them away to friends and family (or if you're like me hoard them all to yourself. Lol, just kidding, I don't know anyone local who's into marimo who wants to start a little fan club with me so for now I'll keep all my marimo.

     Let me know in the comments below if you have any questions about marimo. I'm not claiming to be an expert but I can at least direct you to a site if I don't know the answer. Also if it's not post related, you can always check out my About Night Sea 90 page for more ways to find me.

Disclaimer; I got this idea from binge watching marimo videos on YouTube and thought to myself 'well I have loose marimo algae, it gets rolled around, why can't I do that with what I have?' So I tried it out and it worked. You do have to roll it gently for quiet a while, several minutes so you know it'll stick a while. If it ever unrolls itself, just roll it again. they do like being handled.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments

Popular Posts